Indoor plants are becoming part of our lives. As we are residing in high-rise buildings, indoor plants are building our connection with nature. But often our in-house atmosphere is not suitable enough to help the plants grow. Potting soils for indoor plants can help in this situation to keep the plants healthy and vibrant.
The marketplace has many products that advertise to keep our indoor plants healthy. But do they do the job they claim? You cannot try them all. But you can take some minutes and go through this article. Today we are telling you about 5 indoor potting soils to keep your indoor plants lively.
Table Of Contents - Click To Expand Or Hide -->
Top 5 Best Potting Soils for Indoor Plants in 2022
|Miracle-Gro Potting Mix 2 Pack.|
|FoxFarm Ocean Forest|
|Miracle-Gro Indoor Potting Mix 6 Qt.|
|Espoma Organic Potting Soil Mix 4 Qt|
|Premium All Purpose Potting Soil|
1. Miracle-Gro Potting Mix 8 Qt. 2 Pack – Best Overall
The product claims to grow plants twice as big compared to plants that are not fed on Miracle-Gro Potting Mix. Users have witnessed the benefits of using the product. The plants are more vibrant and livelier after you use this product. Some users have even used this without any soil, and they claim to have pleasant results. If soils in your area are not that great for your plants, you can opt for this product.
- 60-70% of the ingredients are processed forest products
- You get 25.7 of dry quarts
- Retains moisture and does not become compacted
- Some users have found it beneficial to use it without soil
- Users have faced issues regarding the soil riddled with gnat eggs
- Over-applying the product can make the plants vulnerable
2. FoxFarm Ocean Forest – Runner-Up
100% natural and organic products are preferable for plants. This is why we have given this product the runner-up slot. With 0.3% Nitrogen, 0.05% Potash, 0.45% Phosphate, and 1% Calcium – this product provides the nutrition boost your indoor and outdoor plant needs. It also helps in adjusting the pH level of the soil. Therefore, delicate plants and seedlings are protected by this product.
- The soil is ready to use right after opening
- Provides optimum fertilizer uptake
- Well-aerated and lightweight soil
- Applicable for versatile plant environment
- The soil is not vegan due to crustacean meal
- Users have faced bug problems
One of the major issues faced with indoor potting mix is that these invite gnats. This problem is unlikely to occur with this product. It does not contain any bark or compost. Hence, it does not shelter any fungus gnats. The coconut coir helps in balancing the wetness of the soil. All in all, this product is a good mix for the soil.
- Less prone to gnats
- The coconut coir keeps a balanced wet level of soil
- The coconut coir keeps a balanced wet level of soil
- Reasonable price
- Over-application can produce sick plants
- Can release more greenhouse to the atmosphere compared to organic fertilizer
If organic potting mix is your call, you can choose this product for your indoor and outdoor plants. The product is 100% organic with no chemical compound. The soil is blended with alfalfa meal, sphagnum peat moss, kelp meal & feather meal, and humus and perlite enriched with earthworm castings. Moreover, the enhanced myco-tone blend keeps an extra boost for plant growth.
- Enriched with blended sphagnum peat moss, humus & perlite
- Does not contain any chemical or synthetic plant food
- blended with endo & ectomycorrhiza
- Safe to use in all plants
- Tight closure can create mold inside the package
- Users have faced contamination issues in plants
A professional-grade soil mix can help your plants to revive and grow more quickly. This premium soil mix from Proven Winners is winning the hearts of many users. This product is a blend of 50-60% Canadian sphagnum peat Moss, perlite, dolomite lime to buffer soil pH, processed softwood bark, a controlled-release fertilizer, and a wetting agent. All these ingredients are all you need for outdoor plants.
- Specially formulated to promote growth and vibrant flowers
- You can use it for all outdoor plants
- The balanced pH level of the soil
- May attract whiteflies and fungus gnats
- Users have faced mold issues
Indoor Garden And Plants Potting Soil Buying Guide
Potting Mix v/s Potting Soil
When you are particularly thinking about something for your indoor plants, you might opt for potting mix instead of potting soil. The reason behind this is, potting mixes are lightweight and fluffier than potting soils. The latter is usually meant for garden use.
It is crucial to know the needs of your indoor plants. For example, if you need building properties for your plants, opt for products containing sphagnum and coconut coir.
Since indoor plants are mostly placed in a container, make sure that the texture of the soil is not dense. Thick soil can hold more water, which can damage the roots. It also can create suffocation for the plants with a lack of aerating.
Lastly, choose the product which has more organic compounds in it. Otherwise, the product tends to release more greenhouse gas into the atmosphere. This is not desirable for your house and the environment.
Apart from the troubles of fungus gnats, bugs, and whiteflies – indoor soil mixes are great products to boost the growth and immunity of indoor plants. We love to see the plants growing healthy and vibrant all around our house. It feels like we are creating our garden within the square feet of our apartments.
As mentioned in the buying guide, moisture-retaining is a great feature for indoor soil mix. Miracle-Gro Potting Mix 16 Qt. does just that. It also does not make your soil compact. Thus, the roots can breathe easily and stay healthy. You can mix the product with soil or use it as indoor plant soil. This feature makes this product our favorite pick from the list.
Have a potting soil that you absolutely love or know of one that doesn’t perform up to the hype? Be sure to leave your feedback in the comments.